28 May 2019

Book Mix & Match 6


To go with this lovely collection of books, I've made a Collection Cocktail. Shake with ice: 3/4 shot vodka, 3/4 shot lemon vodka, 3/4 shot Benedictine, 3/4 shot Blackberry liqueur and 1/2 shot lime juice. Strain into a martini glass. I would love to know if you make the cocktail, share your pictures and tag me so I can see your creations!




Outside - Sarah Ann Juckes
Ele believes in the Outside even if none of the Others do. She's been in the Tower forever and the only thing she sees from the Outside is Him, but she knows it's there and she is determined to find a way out.
Hints of the shocking truth keep coming through and I found myself constantly revising my ideas of what was happening and who the others were. Even after finishing the book I couldn't stop thinking about it.

The Masked City - Genevieve Cogman
Irene is a very rare librarian, she works for the Invisible Library but unlike most of her colleagues, she was actually born to two librarians. When her assistant, Kai, is kidnapped, she takes the full weight of responsibility and blames herself. Despite the many powers of the kidnappers, it is up to her to rescue him and hopefully prevent a war between the Fae and the Dragons. 
Irene is a brave, accomplished and quick thinking character. Fiercely loyal to the library, but still thinking for herself. I would LOVE to be able to use the Language. Librarians can use it like magic and it would be amazing to have that power. Even without it, working as a library-spy sounds intriguing. This is the second book of the Invisible Library series and I am so looking forward to reading more.

The Binding - Bridget Collins
The blurb for this book was intriguing, but the ideas that hooked me also horrified me! I love books about books, but this is quite different. In this world, books are memories, bound when someone wants to forget something from their life. Most people are repulsed by the idea while others look to profit from it.
I immediately felt for Emmett who tries so hard not to be a burden on his family. He believes he's been ill for a long time and even now finds working on his family's farm very difficult, blaming himself for everything that goes wrong. When the local binder requests him to be her apprentice, he doesn't want to go. He remembers how disgusted his father was when he saw him reading a book as a child. Now he knows better than to have anything to do with books. But it doesn't seem that he has a choice and finds himself settling into life with the binder as if he was made for it.
I found myself completely absorbed by the writing and intrigued to know what would happen to Emmett. 

Vote for Effie - Laura Wood
Effie has just started at a new school and it's not long before she finds plenty of injustice to fight against. She decides to run against the unrivalled Junior school president and champion anyone who needs support at the school. I really enjoyed reading about Effie's plans to change her new school for the better, and her absolute determination to win the election.
I could really empathise with Effie and her Greek family. My favourite character was Lil, Effie's little sister. She was so funny! I sometimes think younger books can seem quite childish but this one is easy to read for all ages.

Oh My Gods - Alexandra Sheppard
I love anything to do with mythology, particularly Greek so that meant I just had to read this book. Being half Greek, though unfortunately not half Goddess, made it even more appealing.
Helen is such a down to Earth, normal girl apart from the little matter of her father being the King of the Greek Gods. She hasn't had the easiest life so far and now she just wants to settle down in her new home, make some friends at school and maybe even have her first real kiss. Of course, life never goes to plan and her new family cause no end of problems for her.
Though the Gods have been around for centuries, they can still learn something from Helen. She's a normal girl but when she's needed, she finds the bravery inside her and shows the Gods who is wisest! I really hope there will be more books starring Helen.

Have you read any of these books? Which would you pick up first? Let me know in the comments!






2 comments:

  1. I love The Invisible Library series! Also really enjoyed Vite for Effie!I need to read Oh My Gods and The Binding. Had never heard of Outside before but it sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all good, but you definitely need to read Outside :)

      Delete