2 May 2020

Mix and Match 7


The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky - Mackenzi Lee 
Monty and Percy have finally declared their love for each other, but it's not quite as easy as happily ever after. Some parts are laugh-out-loud funny as they navigate the start of their new relationship and trying to get it together. I love both characters but I have to say that Felicity is still my favourite!
I really enjoyed the first 2 books of the series so was very excited to hear of this one. The book itself is so pretty, with lovely illustrations and cute doodly pages separating the chapters.
Thanks to Harper 360 for letting me have a copy!


 


Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo
Alina and Mal try to make a life for themselves after escaping the Darkling. They hope he's been killed by the volcra (horrible creatures that remind me of dementors) but know it's unlikely they would be so lucky! Although she was horrified by the lengths the Darkling went through to get the amplifier on her, she realises she needs more power if she is going to have any chance of beating him.
I really liked Nikolai, an intriguing and mysterious new character. I enjoyed this book just as much as the first and very much looking forward to the final book of the trilogy. I need to know what is going to happen!




Miss Iceland - Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir
Hekla is unsatisfied with life in her hometown and jumps at the chance to move to Reykjavik, though life there still isn't quite what she was hoping.
I haven't read many translated books so it was quite interesting how different literature can be and I really enjoyed the writing style. I also loved all the Swedish names and places. However, nothing much happens throughout the book so it didn't really keep me gripped. Hekla is so matter of fact about everything, I just couldn't feel the passion that is supposed to be driving her and that I'm sure she has inside. The ending was a bit disappointing, but I think maybe I just didn't quite get it?
Thanks to Pushkin Press for this book which releases on 16th June I think!

Unleashed - Amy McCulloch
At the end of book 1 we were left with Lacey unconscious so I was very excited to get to this book. Unfortunately it took a while to really keep my attention. Lacey is supposed to be super-smart but she seems quite clueless through the first part of the book. There are some really obvious things that she just ignores or forgets as soon as she's told, and a couple of events just seem to be glossed over. Luckily after the shaky start it got really gripping, even as I got near the end I couldn't see how it was all going to be resolved but there was a great ending.




Season of the Witch - Sarah Rees Brennan
I liked the way this was written, mostly from Sabrina's point of view but in between were chapters (on black pages) which were almost story-telling and from different points of view. These insights from other characters was really interesting.
It was also fun getting to meet Nick Scratch before Sabrina runs into him!


I'm drinking The Last Word cocktail. Shake the following with lots of ice and strain into a glass: 1 shot gin, 2/3 shot Green Chartreuse, 2/3 shot maraschino, 2/3 shot lime juice.







No comments:

Post a Comment