Interview with David Barker
Author of Moonlight Robbery
Today I have an interview with David Barker, author of Moonlight Robbery. You can read my reviews of David's previous books and interview here. But before we get into the questions, here's a bit about the newest book which was released just a couple of days ago.
Book Summary
The Pitadel is a towering city built inside a vast lunar crevasse. Life there is divided by tiers – those at the top live in comfort, while those in the lower levels struggle to survive.
Twelve-year-old Max once lived in the upper levels with his relatives, trying to stay out of trouble by following the strict rulebook he made for himself. But when his cruel uncle throws him out of an airlock, Max’s carefully ordered life falls into chaos. Rescued by a daring young scavenger, Max is taken in by the Jetsams, a group of street-smart kids who scrape together a living in the lowest tiers of the Pitadel. It’s a dangerous world of secrets and survival, and Max isn’t sure he belongs.
But when Max discovers that his family is going to steal the inheritance left behind by his explorer father, he realizes salvation may be hidden somewhere deep within the Pitadel. To uncover the truth, Max will need help from his new friends and a plan bold enough to outsmart criminals, corrupt adults, and the city itself. But first he must do the one thing he’s always sworn never to do…
…Break his own rules!
Interview
I'm really looking forward to reading this new book! What made you choose this setting after the dystopian previous books?
I’ve always been fascinated by space and particularly the Moon. It’s so bright and serene in the night sky, with its ever changing phases. Although I’m not old enough to remember the Apollo landings, the fact that we have landed there (and are about to return there with the Artemis missions) makes the Moon feel like a tangible venue, unlike the very distant stars and galaxies and therefore a plausible setting in the future. Of course, I haven’t entirely abandoned my dystopian leanings. There are aspects of life in the Pitadel – the city on the Moon in my story – that are similar to the troubles of New London from my previous series.
What is it about future setting for books that attracts you? And also what excites you about the future?
I think the future gives me, as a writer, a blank canvas on which to paint words. I don’t have to worry about historical accuracy or the grimy realism of modern life. I can just make up stuff! Of course, I do research what might be feasible in the future, so my readers can imagine life turning out to be like my books. I’m excited for the possibilities of technology and smart brains working together to solve our many problems – like green energy, climate change, recycling and protecting the natural environment.
Is there anything from your books that you would like to come true?
Jet pack racing would be a really cool version of Formula One to watch on TV. And I hope we do get to go to the Moon as a form of fancy tourism once bases have been built there, though I suspect it will be rather expensive. I better start saving now!
I love the sound of the Jetsams and already feel protective of Max. I hope they will look after him. Can you tell us a little about him? Is he anything like Pax?
He does share certain characteristics with the main character from the London Falling series aside from their names rhyming. First, both of them are very smart, good at coding and neither of them have parents (for very different reasons). And they both have a strong sense of justice. But Max never gets a chance to join an elite school, instead he escapes his troubled upbringing by accident in the very first chapter. Thank the stars for Art! Unlike Pax, Max is very loathe to break any rules. In fact, he has a whole list of them (43 at the start of the book) that he likes to recite to himself when he feels a panic attack coming on. And when he gets annoyed, he has a habit of shouting Oh, Craters!
Thank you so much to David for answering my questions, I agree that jet packs and moon holidays would be fantastic! I'm sure you're all intrigued now so go out and grab a copy of Moonlight Robbery.
No comments:
Post a Comment