10 September 2018

How to Be a Grown Up - Daisy Buchanan


First of all, a bit of a disclaimer. This book is aimed at 20 somethings which puts me just a little (a lot) out of the main demographic. However, I don't feel like a grown up most of the time so I thought it could still be useful. As if to prove that I need growing up advice, I caught myself trying to stuff the book into the teeny tiny little kids bag I had bought. However, there were also some signs it was not really for me, such as when I had to google Encarta... and I'm still left wondering what on Earth are jorts???




The book is full of humorous stories about experiences we all go through like making new friends, falling in love and trying to relax. While not exactly life changing, the book is actually full of bits of good advice, such as to keep moving. Sometimes just putting one foot in front of the other is enough of a purpose. It made me want to make an effort to widen my social circle. It is also good for just dipping into when you need advice on something particular. There are chapters for anything from how to be confident, how to make mistakes, and even how to wash your hair. As well as advice on panic attacks and how to be sad.

My favourite thing was the summaries and advice at the ends of the chapters. The section titled "Do you really need to tweet that?" was the absolute best part of the book. Hilarious and so very wise! But I also completely loved this line: 

I know...how important it is to remember quietly, 'I am good,' instead of screaming, 'Everyone else is better.'

This needs a proper grown up drink so a simple Martini is perfect. Contrary to James Bond's instruction, a Martini should be stirred not shaken. Take a mixing glass or pitcher and fill with 6 or 7 ice cubes. Pour a capful of vermouth into the pitcher, swirl around and pour out again, keeping the ice. Pour in 2 shots of gin and stir for a minute to ensure the drink is perfectly chilled and diluted. Strain into a chilled Martini glass, garnish with an olive and drink while feeling like a real adult (for a little while at least).





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this was a funny one! I'm definitely intrigued. 😂And that's good it balances the humour stories with helpful life advice about the tougher subjects too.

    ReplyDelete