26 August 2019

Into the Crooked Place - Alexandra Christo



I can't believe how lucky I was to receive this proof copy! I loved Alexandra Christo's previous book, To Kill A Kingdom so much and was on the edge of my seat waiting for this one. The book came with a beautiful silvery map of the city. I can't seem to do it justice in the photo but it is lovely.




Tavia is the best magic busker in Creije, working for Wesley, who used to be her friend but is now the Kingpin's golden boy. Karam and Saxony also work for Wesley, but in the Crook, his underground fighting club. The four crooks now need to team up if they are to save their city, but they all have their own secrets and none can ever truly trust the others. This is the first half of a duology so there was bound to be a cliffhanger but the book is also quite self contained apart from this.

As the four main characters are introduced, they mostly seem almost like strangers. However, as the story progresses you learn a lot more about the relationships and history between them all. I felt like this changed how I thought and felt about each of them.

This was such an immersive world, I had to surface now and then just to find out where I was and what was going on. There was plenty of magic but the distinctive thing about this world is that while anyone can buy and use magic, only crafters can create new magic. Once again the author has created complex characters and actually managed to make me care about the bad guys. 

To make a Black Magic cocktail, muddle 12 red grapes in a shaker, add 1/2 shot of triple sec and ice and shake well. Strain into a flute and top with champagne.






No comments:

Post a Comment