15 September 2019

Spin the Dawn - Elizabeth Lim




The Emperor is looking for a new Imperial Tailor, and Maia knows this is the job for her, but women can't be tailors, let alone work for the Emperor himself. So when a royal messenger arrives asking for her father, she decides to pose as her brother and take his place. After fighting off the competition and winning her place, Maia is tasked with making 3 mythical dresses. One from the laughter of the sun, the second from the tears of the moon and the last from the blood of stars.

Maia is so sweet but so determined. Even the threat of discovery doesn't stop her from doing what she thinks is right. And she literally risks everything, including her life, for her family. Edan is quite a mysterious character and I liked his mischievousness right away. I loved the connection between them and their conversations, with Maia wary of the Enchanter and Edan clearly fascinated by her.

I don't think I really knew what I was getting into when I started this book. The cover attracted me first and then all the praise from other readers. I'm very glad I read it as I really enjoyed the book and hope that book 2 won't be far behind. The book was wonderfully written and I found it completely immersive.

I requested the book from my library but was lucky enough to be sent this lovely swag from the author.




To make the Starry Night cocktail, stir the following with ice: 2 shots Chardonnay, 1/2 shot pear eau de vie, 1/2 shot maraschino liqueur. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a star anise.






No comments:

Post a Comment