17 October 2021

 Mix & Match 11


I am currently enjoying a really delicious Champagne Cocktail. I know I've made this before but I just had a craving today and it's such a simple one so here you go! Soak a sugar cube with drops of angostura bitters and drop into a glass of champagne. This time I've used a lovely, elegant flute. Once you've sorted your drink, pick one of the amazing books below to fall into.



Vulture - Bex Hogan

After the devastating cliffhanger at the end of book 2, I could not wait to get my hands on the final book of the Isles of Storm and Sorrow trilogy. It has taken me quite a while to be able to get my thoughts straight after! Bex Hogan is such an amazing writer, this book hooked me right from the start and had me craving more whenever I had to (very reluctantly) stop reading. I am very happy to finally have the conclusion but at the same time kind of sad that it's all over! 



City of Spells - Alexandra Christo

I love that there was a recap of Into the Crooked Place at the start of the book, it was so useful! All books should do the same.

Loads of adventure and excitement, and some twists I really didn't see coming. The descriptions of the places and all the different types of magic were fascinating and I loved being back in this world again. The love/hate relationships between all the main characters was so much fun to read. This was a fantastic end to the duology.


The House with Chicken Legs - Sophie Anderson

I loved this book so much! The writing was so comforting and I didn't want to stop reading at all.

Though Marinka could be a little selfish and annoying at times, her heart was in the right place and she was really just so desperate to be free. How will she be able to reconcile her desire for freedom and friendship with her expected destiny of being the next Yaga? 

The Yaga houses are the best, caring, sweet and so playful, but also capable of getting in a sulk!



A Crown of Talons - Katharine Corr & Elizabeth Corr

Shocking events and betrayals, some expected and most not so much! This was really gripping and so hard to let go of. Aderyn's character is so well formed. Brave and strong, still self-doubting, but despite everything still wanting to be able to trust people. The descriptions of all the places and of the the freedom of flying were really vivid.



A Shiver of Snow and Sky - Lisa Lueddecke

This is set in such a harsh, scary and unforgiving setting, I found it hard to understand why anyone would want to live there. On top of that, there is the double threat of the plague warning and the sudden attacks from the Or, who want a war with Skane. As well as the Or there are so many other monsters that Osa discovers too.

A really gripping story, despite the sheer foreignness and strangeness of the world, I could relate to Osa and her wish to save her village. Her family, on the other hand, were so awful I would have happily thrown them to the giants! 



Shadowghast - Thomas Taylor

A very creepy start sets this book up very nicely. Here Herbie and Violet face the scariest creature yet, the Shadowghast which steals people's shadows and leaves them confused and lost. People are going missing and a new arrival has her sights set on Herbie. Somehow Herbie and his past seem to be caught up in all that is happening, but what could the Shadowghast really have to do with him? Of course they wouldn't get anywhere without Erwin, the mysterious talking cat that is never actually seen to talk. 

The adventure races along and you can't help getting caught up in it and gripped till the very end!




No comments:

Post a Comment