22 January 2022

 Crushing by Sophie Burrows


I'm really excited to have Crushing as my first review post of the new year. It was one of the last books I read in December and it was also one of my most anticipated. I first heard about it at a Books Showcase thrown by David Fickling Publishing. I have to admit I pretty much wanted to read all the books shown that day, however this one really stood out.




A girl and a boy, both lonely and living in the same busy city. Will any of their chance encounters finally bring them together?


First of all I have to talk about how beautiful the physical book is 😍 A lovely, weighty, solid hardback with what feels like a fabric binding. You can see all the love and care that has gone into it which matches the illustrations. I just can't get over how much feeling and emotion there is in these pictures. It's amazing how much can be said without any words! The book is full of such relatable moments, captured beautifully. It all feels so real. This is a wonderful style of art, using just a couple of colours that really highlight all the important details.


It may be a little late for this now but as I read this over the Christmas period, I'm doing a Mince Pie Martini. (Which is also a good way to use up any leftover jars of mince pie mixture!)  50ml rum, 25ml orange juice, 15ml lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of mince pie mixture, dash of gingerbread syrup. Put them all in a shaker and shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.






No comments:

Post a Comment